A bit about me . . .

I am a Sophomore at the University of South Alabama. My major is Secondary Education/History. I plan to teach history in middle school once I receive my Bachelor's degree. I love children of all ages and look forward to graduating and beginning my teaching career.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Independent Thinking

Encouraging independent thoughts and opinions through student discussions and debates will be a large part of my classroom curriculum. For example, I will ask for different viewpoints from my students about a particular person or event in history. I want to avoid "straight lecturing", which is when a teacher simply stands at the lecturn and talks throughout the entire class period. This type of teaching is extremely boring for students and increases the chances for disinterest and failure. Student discussions also create a more relaxed environment which is conducive for the students. It teaches them to voice their opinion in a constructive way, and at times respectfully disagreeing with a classmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment